Governors debate resolutions on pay, tobacco and Fellowship
At its September meeting, the Board of Governors voted to recommend that the Board of Regents adopt seven resolutions on issues including reimbursement, tobacco prevention and the Fellowship application process. Here is a list of the resolutions that will be forwarded to the Board of Regents:
- RBRVS. The resolution calls on the College to urge private insurers to adopt Medicare's resource-based relative value system (RBRVS) and a single-dollar conversion factor to determine physician payments.
- In-office oximetry. The resolution calls for the College to continue urging HCFA to reinstate Medicare coverage for portable oxygen saturation testing done in physician offices.
- Tobacco prevention. The resolution asks the College to urge medical schools to hold a grand rounds or conference on tobacco addiction treatment annually and to encourage members to participate in community smoking-cessation programs. The resolution notes that despite more than 400,000 tobacco-related deaths in the United States each year, tobacco addiction treatment is rarely addressed in training programs.
- Personal identifiers. The resolution asks the College to oppose the use of Social Security numbers as physician identifiers by CME providers and certification boards. According to the resolution, using and disseminating physicians' Social Security information increases the risk that the numbers could be used fraudulently.
- Fellowship applications. The resolution recommends that the College continue to simplify its Fellowship application process.
- Voting privileges for Associates. The resolution would give Associates who have been in the College two years the same voting privileges as Members, Fellows and Masters.
- College resolutions. The resolution calls on the College to continue to re-evaluate the process of adopting and implementing resolutions after they are recommended by the Board of Governors.
For full text of the resolutions, go to ACPASIM Online at www.acponline.org/private/resolutions/.
Internist Archives Quick Links
New Leadership Webinars
The ACP Leadership Academy is offering FREE webinars covering the core tenets of leadership, leadership in hospital medicine, finance, and more.
Join ACP Today!
ACP membership connects you with like-minded colleagues and provides access to a variety of clinical resources, practice tools, and ways to earn MOC and CME.